Friday, August 16, 2013

Guest feature: Meet lovely natural & YouTuber, Brittany!!!

1. Please introduce yourself!
 
Hello Hello Hello!! My name is Brittany! I am current living in Northeastern Ohio. I'm a full time Mommy, a grad student and I work full time Monday through Friday.  Busybee best describes me =)
 
 I recently started a YouTube Channel. Still a work in progress... My main focus is time/cost efficiency and simplicity when it comes to hair care, specifically natural hair care =) 
 

 
2. Why did you decide to go natural/ become chemical free?
 
I attempted to go natural the summer of 2006. I wasn't really prepared, or educated on the process, to say the least. My hair was near platinum blonde, very short and very dry. After about 3 months, I went back to getting relaxers.
 
I decided to go natural for the second time in 2009.  This time by accident and during the last few months of my pregnancy. I was only going to the salon for "touch-ups" 2-3 times per year anyways, but when my hair dresser saw that I was expecting, she advised me that the chemicals, mainly the fumes, weren't the best for me and my unborn child. That was the perfect opportunity for me to give the natural hair process another try! Haven't looked back since.
 
I've been relaxer-free since July 2009. Chemical-free (hair dye) since August 2012.
 
3. How would you describe your natural hair texture?
My hair is a mixture of 3c and 4a. Looser curl pattern around front and sides.
 
4. Describe your most recent style regimen within the last month.
 
I like to keep things simplified by wearing mostly twist-outs and braid-outs. 10-12 large braids/twists. I always do my hair before bedtime and let it air dry over night.
 
5. What's your go to hairstyle(s)
TwoStrandTwistOuts and BraidOuts for sure!!
 
6. Do you have a specific wash regimen?
 
Absolutely! I wash my hair atleast 2 times per week. I've found that keeping my scalp clean causes my hair to grow faster.
 
1st wash is always cowashing (Suave Naturals Conditioner in Tropical Coconut)
2nd wash, usually midway through the week, is just a thorough rinsing...water only.
**I only shampoo/clarify my hair once per month**
 
7. What are some of your favorite hair products?
 
Suave Naturals, olive oil, and my homemade Shea Butter and Coconut Oil concoction.
 
8. So you have any natural hair goals?
 
Ultimately, my primary focus is to have healthy hair. Length retention means nothing if your hair is damaged. 
Goals:
1. Heat free for 6 months continuously.
2. Become more creative when it comes to styling.
 
9. Do you have any advice for other new naturals or those aspiring to be natural?
 
Like anything else, going natural and chemical free is a process that requires patience. Results are not apparent over night. What works for others, may not be benificial to you. You have to be willing to do a little experimenting to find out what works best for you and your hair. At the end of the day, it is just hair and you have to grow to love what the Lord blessed you with.
 
10. How can you be contacted?
 
brickleyy07@gmail.com  IG @brickleyy


No comments:

Post a Comment