Sunday, March 17, 2013

Guest feature: Meet gorgeous natural Dawn!!!!


1. Please introduce yourself!

Hi Curlies! My name is Dawn Velez, I have been natural almost 2yrs. I chose to transition for one year before cutting the last of my straight ends off in August of 2012 instead of BC to take my journey.

2. Why did you decide to go natural/ become chemical free?

I decided to try going natural so that I could work out without having to worry about my hair sweating out, I had no idea what the journey would lead to. At the time I wasn't a big relaxer user anyway but I was addicted to the Dominican shop and relaxed my hair twice a year.

3. How would you describe your natural hair texture?

Katherine (my hair) has at least three different textures - Should have named her Sybil, For the most part its curly/wavy. I must admit I was disappointed at first, I wanted kinkier hair because there were many styles I pictured myself wearing as a natural. It wasn't until months after I fully transitioned that I was able to love and except my hair for what she is #bipolar :)

4. Describe your most recent style regimen within the last month.

This last month I have been playing with Wash and Go's I live in a warm climate so I have been able to experiment with what will keep my curls the entire day for me. I spray my hair with Water, Aloe Vera Juice and Sunflower Oil mix. Once its saturated or close to it I seal with oil and conditioner and smooth my edges with gel.

5. What's your go to hairstyle(s)

My go to style is the Afro or The Puff, both are very easy ways for me to correct a twist out or Bantu know Out that in my eyes was no bueno

6. Do you have a specific wash regimen?

Yes, Every week I have fun with my hair I call it Wash It Work It Wednesday, This is the day when I will try a new way to DC or just give my hair extra TLC.I prefer to co wash so I only use shampoo on my hair if I notice product build up which is about every three months.

7. What are some of your favorite hair products?

I only have a few products that I keep in steady rotation: Tresemme Naturals, V05 Moisture Milks, iC Fantasia Gel,Aloe Vera Gel, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, Honey, Avocado, Greek Yogurt, Black Tea, ACV, Sunflower Oil, Grape Seed Oil, EVOO, Coconut Oil and of course WATER.

8. So you have any natural hair goals?

Yes, My primary goal is to have healthy hair, when I was relaxed I could brush or comb my hair and see my sink vanity with lots of hair strands and strands on the floor from breakage, this was the norm for me. I didn't know I had excessive heat damage.

9. Do you have any advice for other new naturals or those aspiring to be natural?

Yes, I know this may sound cliche but for new naturals patience is the key to you having a successful journey. I never took care of my hair before becoming natural if it wasn't the beautician doing it then it pretty much didn't get done. I had to learn to take care of & style my hair. This comes with a lot of trial and error. You may feel frustrated at times but its worth it to stay on your journey. If you are considering making the change to natural, do your research. Decide if you want to BC or Transition and become well versed on the pros and cons of either route. Once you have made your choice stick to it and keep an open mind, understand that just as when you were relaxed and had bad hair days and good hair days the natural journey is no different.
One last thing I would like to Add: Natural is for everybody which is the reason we are not born with tubs of relaxer attached to us.

*Dawn also sells tees & original designs s for naturals to express themselves while having relaxer free hair. Check out the link : http://www.cafepress.com/fancywear
Dawn also has a Facebook page ( fit & fancy flair natural hair) which gives insight on natural hair and the journey many naturals face. She also talks about how to improve health, not only for hair but for the body as well :-)
Thanks so much Dawn!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment