Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Guest feature: meet newly natural Sherri!!



1. Please introduce yourself!


Hi I’m Sherri,  a 28 year old wife and mother of 5 kids. I also work full-time as a Nurse. I went natural back in April of 2012 but didn’t do the Big Chop until March of 2013. I cried when my hair dresser began to cut my hair for the big chop so she left me some hair in the front. I was devastated when I saw my hair on the floor of the salon but I still had some of my hair left in the front. Well a week later I felt comfortable enough to cut the remaining portion of my hair off that still had relaxer on the ends. I felt liberated!


2. Why did you decide to go natural/ become chemical free? 


I decided to go Natural because I felt that I was wasting money on relaxers. I would get relaxers every 6 weeks and my hair didn’t remain straight for very long. Once my hair came in contact with humidity or sweat then it would curl up. I also found it hard to maintain my relaxed hair. I don’t like to do my own hair so I found myself going to the salon more often and once I went home after about a week I would wash it and pull it into a ponytail until my next appointment. My hair became dry and started to break off because I was constantly pulling it back and not conditioning it appropriately .

3. How would you describe your natural hair texture? 


It is naturally curly


4. Describe your most recent style regimen within the last month. 


I just did the big chop back in March so I have been wearing it in a curly ‘fro.

5. What's your go to hairstyle(s)- 


My trusty wash and go Afro lol

6. Do you have a specific wash regimen? 


I co-wash after my work-outs with “Mixed Chicks” deep conditioner and I wash my hair once a week with Mane and Tail shampoo.

7. What are some of your favorite hair products?
 


I LOVE Kinky-Curly Knot Today Conditioner, Kinky-Curly Curl Custard, and Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner

8. Do you have any natural hair goals?
 


My goal is to embrace my hair and its texture and to find products that will keep my natural hair healthy.

9. Do you have any advice for other new naturals or those aspiring to be natural?
 


My advice would be to get to know the texture of your hair and figure out what products work best for your specific texture. There may be a couple of hit and misses with products but keep at it and eventually you will find what works best for your hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment